Friday, May 1, 2009

New Sculpting Tutorial

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since my last post but what can I say, sometimes it is hard for me to find the time to update my blog. Thanks to all of you who have been patient.

I've been really busy lately sculpting for many different companies, soon you should see some of the fruits of that labour. I also was busy filming a sculpting tutorial with Miniature Mentor which I'm really excited about. For those of you who aren't familiar with Miniature Mentor here is a link to their site, check it out they do great painting tutorials.

The work I did with them is basically a tutorial where they filmed me sculpting a figure from the ground up. It is shot in amazing Hi Def and I provide a running commentary explaining each step as we proceed. I was amazed at the detail they managed to capture in the film, you can see every nook and cranny with amazing clarity.

The great part about it for me was that I got to sculpt whatever I wanted for a change.


Here is some photos of the figure I sculpted during the tutorial which will be available from Rafm later.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Spain. You are really good.

Adrian T said...

Hi the Miniature Mentor tutorial video is very exciting. Being into 2D art I only just got interested in sculpture when I started playing D&D.

Any idea when the video at MM is likely to go public? I keep dropping by there to see if its available for purchase :)

James Van Schaik said...

I'm not sure, I will post when it is.

Adrian Tysoe said...

Just a quick note. The Anime girl sculpting video is now available in the download version.

I bought it lastnight and started downloading.

I can't comment too much since I havent had a chance to see it all yet but one thing I can say.

The video quality surpassed my expectations. The download version is in 720p so higher res than DVD and the video quality is very high. The download is in 9 parts each one being just over 1gb (so a lot of downloading :)

I think I may write up a review online somewhere when I'm done. So far everything looks very professional and I like the way that your sitting with someone that asks questions while you work.

James Van Schaik said...

Hi Adrian

If you do let me know, maybe I can post it here. I'm not really sure how it turned out, I haven't even seen it. Hopefully I don't sound like a complete idiot:).

Adrian Tysoe said...

Sure, I'll be happy to send you a review when I'm done. I'm still half way through the video. At the point where you finished preparing the upper torso.

So far it's been very good. I have to say it'd hard to appreciate how small the mini is because the quality of the video is so good and large on the screen. You can see every minute detail and sometimes the edges don't look as sharp when blown up to 12+ " :).

Somehow you manage to keep your hands from obscuring the cameras view, I'm not sure how you pulled that off, seems like it would have been quite awkward working that way?

BTW I thought you came across well in the video, nothing to be ashamed of there :)

James Van Schaik said...

Yes I know what you mean about the size of the image. I kept wincing while filming because there is this monitor in front of you and you can see the mini all huge and blown up on the screen and you can see all the flaws and everything that is not noticeable when you look at it with the naked eye. I think the camera man must have gotten sick of me complaining between takes about how "soft" it looked all blown up after awhile :). Its funny how completely different it looks when you hold it in your hand.

The working position and camera was a little hard to get used to but we wanted to make sure you could see what I was doing. I got used to it after awhile.