In the case of the Hulk, I have permission to use it as a work in progress series on my blog and I also obtained permission from, Cunnyngham Collectibles, to do a WIP series on this model. If you know me, you already know that I am a huge WWII and Military History fan and buff. I have bookshelves, upon bookshelves, of reference material for military history and I always enjoy getting more books on the subject.
When I was given this project, I jumped at the chance to do it. I love when I get WWII on my desk and having a larger size made it all the more exciting. Since this figure is quite a ways, I thought I would do the WIP taking you through everything from start to where I am now.
The very first thing that I do when I get a new piece is to research and gather reference. I sent the reference to Beau and then we discussed the pose and other details. Here is the reference that I gathered for this figure.
Once everything was agreed upon, I started posing out the armature for the piece. Again, it was photographed and sent to Beau for approval so I could make sure the posing on it was approved. Scale is also checked beside one of Beau's other figures.
You may notice missing pockets and a pocket outline, those are details that I will fill in later.
After this stage, I started adding the pockets and sculpted on the coat. At every stage, I am sending these to Beau for approval. 10 points to the first person who can spot the mistake that I made. Actually, neither Beau nor myself had noticed and it was a person on his blog who pointed it out.
So...we realized that I was actually sculpting the wrong pants. During that time, pockets were seen on late war uniforms but they were rarely issued. Our pants should not have any pockets and I was using conflicting reference, which is actually easy to do with military subject matter.
With that realization, I had to go back and fix my mistakes and the end result was this.
Because the pockets affect the flow of the fabric, I had to cut off and resculpt the whole area, including his backside to fix my mistake. I am still not 100% happy with his butt area, which I told Beau, so I will be making some adjustments to the piece as I finish it up.
And the final photos are his face. To research the expression as he aims down the sight, I grabbed a Nerf gun and practiced looking down the sight to be sure I had the expression right. I know, hi-tech. :) The face was a lot of fun, more so than I am used to. With such a large area to work with, you can really get the finer details in the expression.
So, if you have any questions or comments, just post in the comment section and I will answer them. I do recommend that you check out Beau's company, http://cunnyngham.com.