Monday, March 2, 2009

Work in Progress #2

You'll remember a few days ago I posted photos of a couple of armatures. In that post I talked about the importance of underpinning and the "ground-up" method. See Here if you missed it.

This was one of the armatures that had been Bulked up:



I am doing this piece for RAFM miniatures.

Below is the same miniature. I finished the shoes and pants and added yet more underpinning to his smock to give it more depth.






As you can see the underpinning on the smock is still rough and is simply meant to add definition and to give me a foundation to work on later. If you tried to sculpt something like this without underpinning it first you would probably find that the putty would warp and bend in ways you didn't want it too. You would also find that you couldn't get a smooth surface without losing the shape you were trying to achieve. It would also be hard to get a sharp edge because when you applied a tool to the smock there would be no support underneath and again the shape would distort.

At this point I have also began to bulk out the shoulders and cut the head off.

Note: This figure in going to have separate arms and heads much like a GW space marine sprue, that is why I have taken the head off (just look at the ball socket at the neck to see what I mean).

DO NOT do this on a regular figure, you need to keep all the limbs and head attached to judge proportion properly. Normally if I need to cut a figure up in parts for production I sculpt it completely and cut it up after.

Next time I will post the next step.

Any Questions?

2 comments:

Tidyfiguremaker said...

looking good so far James, looking forward to seeing him progress.
Are you working to a close concept for this one?

James Van Schaik said...

Thanks. I don't have turnarounds for this but I have some loose parameters when it comes to weapons and clothing.